Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon and Parmesan
Can we talk about the time change for a second? I’m still not adjusted. The girls are still sleeping in and I have to pull Maddie out of bed to get up for school on time. And it’s so dark in the morning now, it’s so much harder to get up! Yes, I do enjoy it not getting dark at 5, but I’m all for doing away with daylight savings! Definitely one of the things I miss about living in Phoenix.
Anyway, with longer days and slightly warmer weather, I’ve been craving salads like crazy lately. To switch things up, I mixed up this quick and seriously delish shaved Brussels sprouts salad!
This salad is so simple, but is not lacking on flavor! Let’s break it down! First, you are going to cook up some bacon. Not a bad way to start, am I right?! Once it’s crispy, we save the drippings to use in our dressing! I then whisk in some olive oil, a pinch of garlic powder and salt, and fresh lemon juice!
Then, I take whole brussels sprouts and toss them in the food processor to chop them down a bit. If you want to skip this step, you can always buy them pre-shredded if your store carries them. After that, I toss in some chopped pecans, crumble the bacon, and some shaved Parmesan!
It’s so simple, but the flavor is so light and delicious. I love the added crunch of the bacon and pecans. You can certainly add in other salad fixings like tomatoes or other veggies like carrots if desired. The other thing I love about this salad is that it tastes good both chilled and at room temperature so it’s great for parties and potlucks!
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- approx. 16 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- approx. 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- To make the dressing, cook the bacon in a fry pan over medium heat until crispy on both sides. Use a slotted spoon or spatula to remove the bacon onto a paper towel and set aside. Reserve the pan drippings in a small bowl. Then add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt to the bowl with the bacon drippings and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until well-chopped (Alternatively, you can also just use a bag of pre-shredded Brussels sprouts). Crumble the bacon slices and add to the Brussels sprouts along with the pecans and shaved Parmesan. Pour the dressing over it and toss until well-combined. Season with additional salt, lemon juice, and top with more Parmesan if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 575mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g