Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls
I’ve recently gotten some reader emails asking for more vegan-friendly recipes and you guys know I aim to please so here we go! These roasted veggie quinoa bowls are seriously so so hearty and delicious. And even better, they are topped with the dreamiest lemony cashew sauce and I’m seriously addicted!
Not only is this recipe vegan, but it’s also gluten-free, low-carb, and dairy-free!
Let’s break it down. First, you are going to prep your cashews for the cashew sauce. You will want to plan ahead here because they need to soak in water for 2-4 hours. This step is important so that they will break down and blend up once you make the sauce. Once that’s done, you just toss the soaked cashews in the food processor with some water, garlic, salt, and lemon juice. After a few minutes, you will have this incredibly creamy and delicious cashew sauce ready to put on all of the things, the first being these veggie bowls, of course!
After the sauce is ready, you will cook up some fluffy quinoa and roast some veggies. I like using quinoa because it’s low-carb and is a great source of fiber and protein that you don’t get from rice, but you can certainly use rice instead if you prefer. For the veggies, I like to use broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Oh oh oh, and for extra fun, I also tossed in some chickpeas to roast. They will get a little crispy while roasting and I love the crunch they add to the bowls. Top everything with the sauce and then you have the best meatless dinner!
For the Cashew Sauce:
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Bowls:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- 3/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed and outer skin removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cashew sauce
- Prepare the cashew sauce. Soak the cashews in water for 2-4 hours. Drain and then add to the bowl of a food processor along with the water, garlic, some salt, and the lemon juice. Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes, scraping the sides every so often. Add more salt to taste. Add more water if you prefer a thinner sauce. Set the sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add about 2 1/2 cups water and the uncooked quinoa. Cover and cook on medium heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, arrange the the vegetables and chick peas on the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the veggies for about 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly golden and tender.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the cooked quinoa in two bowls and then the roasted vegetables. Spoon desired amount of cashew sauce on top or serve on the side. Serve.