Roasted Red Pepper Zucchini Noodles
Are you guys enjoying the Olympics? I always love when they are on and I can’t get enough gymnastics! It’s just too much fun not to watch! Even Maddie is loving gymnastics. In her own little toddler way, she dances around and jumps up and down. I think in her mind, she is doing exactly the same things as the gymnasts. She claps whenever she hears other cheering and clapping. Yeah, it’s basically the cutest thing ever, but I digress…
I can never get enough zoodles in my life. They are the perfect low-carb alternative to pasta and in my opinion, it tastes just as good! I always do tomato or oil-based sauces for pasta dishes, but wanted to try a nice roasted red pepper sauce this time and it was so easy and flavorful! This recipe comes together in just about 20 minutes which makes it perfect for quick weeknight dinners. You can add chicken or fish to it as well if you want something a little more substantial, but I personally loves these noodles as is with a pile of Parmesan grated on top! Roasting your own red peppers is easy enough, but if you are looking for shortcuts, you can always use jarred roasted peppers if that is easier.
- 2 roasted red peppers (can use jarred if preferred)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind will do)
- 2 large (or 3 small) zucchini, spiralized
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. To roast your own peppers: Place three red bell peppers (seeded and cut in half) onto a baking sheet. Set oven to broil. Place the peppers into the oven on highest shelf. Broil until black spots appear, then remove and turn the peppers over and place back into the oven. Continue until all sides are blackened. Remove from the oven and let cool, use a fork to scrape off blackened skin
2. In a food processor, add the roasted peppers, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, and the milk and blend until smooth
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the zucchini noodles. Saute using tongs and cook for 2-3 minutes or just before the zucchini releases water. Pour the red pepper sauce over the zoodles and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and top with fresh grated Parmesan! Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 8g