Pumpkin Coconut Soup
You guys, tomorrow I turn 36. I’m officially in my upper 30’s. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I think it’s the first time though that I’m seriously feeling like I’m getting old!
One of my favorite new birthday traditions that we’ve started though is to put up the Halloween decorations! Can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with kicking off my favorite holiday season!
I’ve also gone into full pumpkin-mode. One of the things I like to challenge myself to each year is to come up with at least a couple of savory pumpkin recipes. I love sweet pumpkin recipes, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not just for baking!
Case in point, this Pumpkin Coconut Soup! This soup is ridiculously easy to make. I toss in some shallots in olive oil and then just dump in some broth, salt, pumpkin puree, and coconut milk! That’s seriously it!
It’s ready in just 20 minutes! If you are weird about texture, you can either skip the shallots, or throw the soup in a blender. I don’t mind the shallots and there aren’t a ton of them, so I leave it as is. You can add curry powder if you’d like or a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg as well.
This soup is delicious with some toasted crusty bread, but it would also be perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich for the best fall weeknight dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish, optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the shallots and saute for about 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and the pumpkin puree and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk, salt and pepper to taste, and the curry powder (if using). Let the soup simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with an extra drizzle of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds.
Serving Size:approx. 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 759mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g