Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
This post is sponsored by STAR Fine Foods.
In most places around the country, summer means spending as much time outdoors as possible and grilling out. But, if you live in Arizona, the thought of standing in front of a hot grill in the 110 degree heat makes me want to just run and hide! Do. Not. Want! I use my slow cooker all of the time, any time of the year. And these slow cooker pulled chicken sandwiches with apple slaw? Well, they are just making me so happy right now!
What really makes this recipe for me is the apple cider vinegar from STAR Fine Foods. It’s organic and made from real crushed apples. I used it in the both the pulled chicken recipe and the dressing for the apple slaw. I adore apple cider vinegar for so many reasons. First, it has so many health benefits like lowering cholesterol, weight loss, and promotes healthy blood sugar. And secondly, I love the flavor it adds to recipes!
This is one of those recipes that is just perfect all year round whether it’s for a summer party where it’s too hot to grill or the colder months!
For the sandwiches:
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup STAR Fine Foods Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
- Hamburger buns
For the apple slaw:
- 2 tablespoons STAR Fine Foods Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt to taste
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- Add the sliced chicken breasts to a slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, remove and shred with a fork. Return chicken to the slow cooker for 5-10 minutes.
- Just before the chicken is finished, prepare the apple slaw. Stir together the vinegar, Greek yogurt, and the honey in a small bowl. Season with salt to taste. Combine the coleslaw mix and the apple in a bowl and pour the dressing over and mix well. Serve on top of the pulled chicken sandwiches.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 747mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 27g
Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing partnership with STAR Fine Foods. I was compensated for developing this recipe, but all text and opinions in this post are my own.