My birthday was Wednesday. Having a birthday while being so far in a pregnancy is kind of strange. When family asked me what I wanted, I could barely think of anything. My mind isn’t on anything for myself so ummm…diaper bag? Money to buy more baby stuff? Now that I am 31 weeks, I have finally started feeling the nesting thing. The fact that the baby’s room is not cleaned up and organized is freaking me out! So if one isn’t super excited about presents, what was the best part of this birthday? Cupcakes. Duh. Oh, and there was also fondue with an embarrassing amount of bread and cheese for just two people.
Cupcakes and fondue are why I feel the needed to post this salad today. It’s pretty much everything a salad should be: Light and healthy, but packed with flavor! You start with a bed of vitamin-packed greens. I used a package that contained spinach, kale, and chard. This combo of greens contain a ton of iron, Vitamins A,C, and K, and folic acid. Then I tossed in some cooked quinoa and sliced almonds for added protein and fiber, and blueberries and green apple for antioxidants! For the dressing, I just mixed up a nice honey lemon dressing. This salad is perfect for when you want to detox and cleanse your body. If you want to make it a little more hearty, adding some chicken is a great idea!
- 3 cups mixed greens (I used a power mix from Trader Joe’s that contains spinach, kale, and chard)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer the greens, quinoa, blueberries, apple, and almonds on a salad plate or in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.