Pineapple Dream Dessert
I don’t know about you guys, but here in So Cal flour is still almost impossible to come by. I still have a bit to last us a couple of more weeks, but have been trying to get another bag delivered and it’s proving to be no easy task!
I’m trying to save the flour I have for more nutritious things like bread, banana bread, and pizza dough. But, what about dessert?! We’ve got to have dessert still! No-flour-required desserts to the rescue!
This Pineapple Dream is a classic dessert that’s been around for many years and I’m not sure where it originated, but I know that it is really scrumptious! My No-Bake Banana Split Dessert is quite popular and this dessert is very similar to this recipe so if you like that one, give this one a try!
To make this recipe, you only need a small handful of ingredients including butter, graham cracker crumbs, canned crushed pineapple, cream cheese, and some whipped topping (which can be store bought or homemade!). I do bake the crust because it makes it easier to actually cut slices, however, if you are feeling super lazy and don’t care about getting clean slices, you don’t *have* to bake the crust.
When I was doing some research, I noticed a lot of the recipes included a stick of butter in the pineapple layer. I decided to skip that as there is already a whole stick in the crust. I’m guessing that the butter in the filling probably helps to thicken and stabilize the dessert, but as you can see you from my photos, I was able to still get clean slices so I personally do not feel it is necessary to add butter to the pineapple layer.
This dessert comes together in just about 20 minutes and then will chill in the fridge for a bit and then it’s done! You can fancy it up with chopped walnuts and maraschino cherries on top to give it a more upside-down cake kind of vibe!
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
For the pineapple filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping (see note)
- 1 can (20-ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Add the graham cracker crumbs to a bowl and pour in the melted butter. Stir until well-combined. Press the crumbs into an even layer in an 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the whipped topping and softened cream cheese until smooth and then mix in the powdered sugar. Fold in the crushed pineapple. Spoon the mixture on top of the graham cracker crust and spread evenly. Top with additional crumbs. Cover the baking dish and chill for at least 4 hours. Dessert is best enjoyed within three days.
If you do not want to use whipped topping, you can use homemade whipped cream by whipping 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream until stiffened. You may want/need to add more powdered sugar for the final mixture if it is not sweet enough since whipped topping has added sweetener. Note that dessert may be less stable/stiff if using homemade whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 3gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g