So I hear there is this big game coming up in a couple of weeks. I’m really not sure, I’m just there for the food…
My mom used to make pepperoni rolls every summer for the Annual Italian American picnic when we were growing up. They were so simple, yet so yummy and addicting. Hers were just made from dough and pepperoni. I had a weird craving for those rolls last week and decided to make a batch, but I changed them up by adding cheese and sauce so they are more pizza-like…just like a slice of pepperoni pizza all rolled up into a few bites!
These rolls would be great to make for your Super Bowl parties. I think they are also very kid-friendly for lunches or after-school snacks as they are less messy than a slice of pizza and are easy to hold. You can get a little creative too and add in some other toppings like sausage or veggies if you want. Just be careful not to overdo it otherwise you won’t be able to roll up the dough. I served my rolls with extra tomato sauce, but you could also do ranch or whatever sauces you like dipping your pizza into!
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough
- 1 cup tomato sauce (plus more for dipping)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- about 40 slices pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll the pizza dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle approximately 9×14 inches. Spread the sauce over the dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch around the sides. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce and then arrange the pepperoni slices in a single layer.
- Starting from the longer side of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough. Pinch the ends to seal together. Use a sharp and serrated knife and slice the roll into 12-14 slices. Arrange the sliced rolls on the pan 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and serve with additional sauce.
Serving Size:1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g