Peppermint Popcorn Balls
I cannot believe how fast December is just flying by! I’m trying to pack in these last Christmas recipes! These Peppermint Popcorn Balls were so fun and simple to make and are great for giving out as little gifts or party favors! Wrap them up in some cellophane and tie with fun ribbon!
These popcorn balls are very similar to rice krispie treats. First you need some plain popped popcorn which can be from a bag or you can pop it fresh. Some melted butter, marshmallows, peppermint extract, and some white chocolate get melted in a pan and tossed with the popcorn. And while I normally do not really like white chocolate, it works really well in this recipe. I like the flavor and added richness it adds and it also helps to keep the popcorn together a little better!
I bought some peppermint candies and crushed them myself. As you can see, I had some bigger chunks, but you may be able to find already crushed peppermint candy in the bulk section at the grocery store or candy store. You can also crush up some candy canes. After the popcorn balls are formed, I rolled them in some of the candy to finish them off.
These are seriously so simple to make, but also super yummy for adults and kiddos!
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows (1 bag)
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies (or candy canes)
- cooking spray
- Add the popcorn to a large mixing bowl (or two medium bowls if preferred) and set aside.
- In a stockpot or large sauce pan over medium heat, add the butter and stir until melted. Add the marshmallows. Stir continiously until the marshmallows begin to melt. Add the white chocolate and peppermint extract. Continue stirring until the marshmallows and chocolate are completely melted.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn. Working quickly, use a spatula to stir until the marshmallow mixture is well-combined with the popcorn. Spray hands with cooking spray, use your hands to divide the mixture and form into about 10 evenly-sized popcorn balls.
- Add the crushed peppermint candies to a shallow bowl and roll each ball in the candy or use your hands to stick some around each popcorn ball. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Wrap in plastic and tie with festive ribbons to give as gifts or party favors. Store leftover popcorn balls in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 popcorn ball
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g