Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola
Back-to-school is in full swing! Maddie starts TK this week and I cannot believe she will be going to school every day now. She’s a bit nervous about starting at a new school and I’m already feeling a tad emotional knowing she’s starting this new chapter of her little life.
Back-to-school always makes me think of PB&J. Even though a lot of schools don’t allow peanut butter anymore, I’m an old school kind of gal and I think it will always remind me of being a kid.
It seemed only natural then to make this peanut butter and jelly granola! What’s not to love here? Old fashioned oats coated in creamy butter and sweet strawberry jam!
The peanut butter flavor is definitely the stronger flavor here. I do get hints of the jam, but if you want the fruitier flavor to stand out more, you can also add in dried fruits like strawberries, raisins, or cranberries.
Make sure that you use old fashioned oats and not quick oats when making this recipe. Quick oats tend to break down faster and could make the granola a bit dry. I used strawberry jam because that is what I had on hand, but feel free to use your favorite fruit jam in its place. You can also add in peanuts or other mixed nuts.
This granola is delicious with just some milk, but it’s also quite addicting just to snack on right out of the container or you could even sprinkle some on yogurt or ice cream!
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup strawberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- Optional add-ins: peanuts or other nuts, dried cranberries, strawberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, add the peanut butter and coconut oil. Heat for 30 seconds.
- Remove and add the cinnamon, jam, honey, and flax to the bowl. Stir until well-combined. Fold in the oats until they are coated with the peanut butter mixture. Stir in any additional add-ins if desired.
- Pour the granola mixture onto the cookie sheet and spread so it is in a even single layer. Bake the granola for about 10 minutes. Flip with a spatula and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until the granola is lightly golden. Let cool (granola will become more crunchy as it cools). Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 6.5g Sodium: 150mg Carbohydrates: 58g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 20g Protein: 10g