Panzanella. This might be my new most favorite salad ever. Panzanella is a Tuscan-style salad made with BREAD and tomatoes. You guys, a salad made with bread. I mean, whoever created this glorious salad is one of the most brilliant ideas in the history of all ideas. If you like salad, bruschetta, and caprese, this is totally the salad for you!
I mean, I guess you can say eating a bunch of bread kind of defeats the purpose of a nice and light summer salad, but whatever, sometimes you just have to carb it up! While I’ve seen many different versions of Panzanella around the interwebs, I think this version is a more classic Panzanella.
A Panzanella salad is the perfect way to use up day-old bread. Any baguette or sourdough bread works well for this recipe! After toasting the bread, you will mix in the gorgeous tomatoes and of course, the adorable little mozzarella balls. The vinaigrette for this recipe pairs perfectly with the salad and by toasting the bread first, it helps prevent the bread from getting soggy. Serve this with a nice crisp glass of white wine and enjoy it pool-side or outdoors for the best summer meal!
Panzanella. Always and forever!
- About 3 cups baguette, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cherry (or a mix of small) tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup mozzarella balls, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the cubed bread on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the oil over the bread and toss to coat. Toast the bread until lightly golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a large bowl along with the tomatoes, red onion, mozzarella, and basil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup oil, garlic, and the vinegar. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Serving Size:about 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 293mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 8g