Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
I’ve got another Thanksgiving side dish for you guys! When it comes to Brussels sprouts, I have to admit that they have not always been a favorite vegetable of mine. I’m not sure what it is, maybe the texture, but they just haven’t done it for me…until this recipe, that is! These are the Brussels sprouts to end all Brussels sprouts in my humble opinion and I want to keep making them always and forever.
Why are they so good? Well, first and foremost, they are cooked in bacon fat and butter. Anything cooked with bacon fat and butter is going to be amazing, am I right? Yeah, let’s also remember that calories don’t count on Thanksgiving and just move on.
These sprouts couldn’t be easier and they cook right in one pan in thirty minutes or less and get all nice and crispy with some caramelized onions. I highly recommend not skipping out on the fresh lemon juice. It helps balance the flavors of the dish and the richness with the butter and bacon. I also sprinkled some Parmesan cheese at the end and it added a nice finishing touch. These Brussels sprouts are so flavorful. I promise even the Brussels-haters will change their minds!
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined dish and crumble. Set aside.
- In the same pan with the bacon fat over medium heat (you can drain some away if desired), melt the butter. Add the onions and Brussels Sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are golden brown and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, the lemon juice, and toss bacon back into pan. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, if using. Serve.
Serving Size:About 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 270mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 6g