One-Pot Chicken, Beans, and Rice
Easy weeknight meals are a must this time of year when the kiddos are headed back to school. And before we know it, cooler weather will start to creep in and comfort food is back on the table! Work has been so crazy for me lately. Grant season just ended and I found myself getting home and not wanting to do anything except lay on the couch and zone out. One-pot meals are the perfect compromise for nights where you are too tired to cook a big meal, but also don’t want to go out or spend money on take-out.
This One-Pot Chicken, Beans, and Rice is the perfect weeknight meal to transition to Fall and back-to-school. It’s so easy! All you have to do is brown the chicken and then you literally just throw everything else in the pot and let it cook! The rice will get nice and tender from the diced tomato liquid and chicken broth. This is such an easy dinner, but it’s also comforting and filling.
You can also add a variety of toppings. Since the seasonings in this recipe lean towards Mexican, I like to add avocado, cilantro, and even a sprinkle of cheese. This is really the perfect family meal for when you want to put in as little effort as possible!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15-ounces) beans, rinsed and drained (I used black and pinto)
- 2-3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup rice
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chicken. Use a spatula to break up the chicken as it cooks. Cook the chicken until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Then stir in the garlic and spices, followed by the diced tomatoes (liquid included), beans, two cups of the broth, and the rice. Stir until well-combined. Cover and lower the heat to medium low. Let the mixture cook until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. Add the remaining cup of broth if needed for the rice. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Serving Size:1/4 mixture
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 121mg Sodium: 550mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 38g