1. Today I wanted to share some of the details from our Florida trip with you all! As I mentioned, we went to Florida to meet up with family to celebrate my grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary. It was really special and I was so happy to be a part of such an occasion! While we spent a lot of our visit at my mom’s in Orlando, we drove up to my uncle’s house on Amelia Island (near Jacksonville) for the actual celebration. We spent time on the beach and just hanging out with everyone.
2. For the actual celebration, we first went out to a really nice Italian place for dinner. Afterwards, we all went back to my uncle’s house for more celebration fun! My aunt and uncle got a picture of the cake from my grandparent’s wedding and then worked with a pastry chef at The Ritz-Carlton on the island to make a replica. This was the final product:
Seriously gorgeous, right? The cake was a Cleveland cassata cake. Cassata cake is a spongecake filled with custard and strawberries. You can read more about this type of cake here if you are interested. Anyway, the cake was all kinds of amazing. There were only 17 of us, but the cake was meant for more like 50 people so we had quite a bit leftover. No complaining here! I wish I had another slice right now!
3. We made my grandparents stand near the cake, cut it together, and of course, feed a piece to one another:
I die of cuteness.
4. After the cake, we did a quick toast and a few speeches and then it was time for my husband and I to finally reveal the big project we had been working on since before the holidays! We created a video of their life together that spanned from their own childhood, their wedding, their kids, and grandkids. Obviously, it was their favorite part of the whole night. We were so happy to share it with them. Also, having a professional video editor as a husband totally helped make it even more awesome.
5. Ok, Mario Kart 8. It came out the day we first got to my mom’s house and you can bet it was one of the first things I had to do. In case you haven’t heard me mention it before, I have a serious Mario Kart addiction. It’s pretty much the only video game I really play, but it’s so bad. It’s so bad because the game cheats and I get seriously angry, but I still can’t stop. I will continue playing Mario Kart until I’m dead. Also, not loving the new Rainbow Road. Just sayin’…
6. I did quite a bit of cooking with the family. Lots of Italian food (duh). I also managed to burn myself multiple times and almost sliced the tip of two of my fingers off with a bread knife. I shouldn’t be allowed in the kitchen.
7. Although we had lived in Florida for a very long time, we never had been to the Kennedy Space Center and finally made a trip there. I have this thing about space…It blows my mind. Every time I start thinking about it and how vast and infinite it is and how we will never really know what’s out there, I have an existential crisis. My husband thinks this is hilarious and loves to have random conversations about space, especially at night before bed to give me nightmares. Needless to say, I had an existential crisis pretty much the entire day.
8. I want to eat cake batter ice cream every day for the rest of my life, especially from Kilwins. Actually, if I could have cake batter ice cream + more of the cassata cake, I think I would be the happiest person alive.
9. Last and certainly not least, 4 years ago today, I married my best friend. He rocks my world too. I love you, Boo!