Monster Sloppy Joes
“Here ya go! Have some more Sloppy joes. I made’em EXTRA sloppy for ya’s; I know you’s kids like ’em sloppy!”, “Lady, you’re scaring us!”
Quick, name the movie!
It’s Billy Madison, by the way. That cracks me up every time I see it. When it comes to sloppy joes, I don’t think I’ve had them since I was a child honestly. And it was probably the mix from the can which is beyond yucky when I think about it now as an adult. I’ve been wanting to make a homemade version and it was great timing to also add a fun Halloween twist!
The sloppy joe recipe itself is really quite simple. Just some beef with onion, garlic powder, ketchup, mustard powder, and salt and pepper. No weird stuff! For the monster twist, you just take small triangles of cheese to make the teeth and add olives for eyeballs! Mine really look more like little vampires, but you can certainly add more teeth and more eyeballs to make a variety of monsters! This is a great recipe to make for the family before trick-or-treating or you could easily double or triple the recipe to make sliders for a party!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hamburger buns
- green pimento-stuffed olives
- 6 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef, break up with a spatula, and cook until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard powder, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the sliced cheese into small triangles to make teeth and arrange towards the front of each sandwich. Then place the top bun and olives on a toothpick and stick into the top bun to make eyes (as pictured). Serve.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 933mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 32g