Microwave Caramel Sauce
You know you are a food blogger when you have burn marks all over your arms and hands. No? Is it just me?
Some of these burn marks have come from me attempting to making homemade caramel sauce. I always burn it and then somehow manage to get it all over me. I gave up for a long time…until now. Because now I can make in the microwave and it’s way easier! And best of all, it only takes about 5 minutes to make! Not only is it super easy, but it tastes a 1000 times better than the jarred stuff at the store. I don’t think I will ever go back to that stuff again.
This is a great sauce to keep handy during the holiday season to drizzle over cookies, brownies, or even pies. And did I mention it also makes a great little gift?! Just put it in a pretty jar, decorate it, and hand out to your friends and family. In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve been making a lot little DIY gifts lately like homemade pumpkin pie spice and homemade pumpkin applesauce. At this rate, you can make a whole gift basket! Since I am all about apples right now, I am obsessed with using the caramel as a dip!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl, mix together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and the lemon juice. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes or until the mixture just starts to turn a light golden color. Be very careful here, I would watch the entire time as just even a few seconds could cause the caramel to overcook and develop a bitter taste. Mine actually took a little less than 5 minutes so it depends on the microwave.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and let stand for about 4-5 minutes. The caramel will turn a dark amber color (see photo below).
- Pour in just a little of the heated cream and whisk constantly. The mixture will bubble, but the whisking will keep it from bubbling over. Keep adding in the cream. Then whisk in the vanilla and butter and whisk until well-combined.
- Serve or store in a jar in the fridge. The caramel will thicken as it sits. To reheat, you can heat it in the microwave again for about 10-15 seconds.
Serving Size:per 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven.