Flashback Friday: Low-Fat Spinach Artichoke Dip
If you asked me to choose my favorite dip, I would most assuredly tell you it would be spinach artichoke dip. I love the creaminess and cheesiness and those big chunks of artichoke!
Most spinach artichoke dips are made with heavy cream and full-fat cream cheese. This lightened up version uses neufchâtel cheese, which is about 1/3 less fat that regular cream cheese and you will not even notice the difference. There is no heavy cream in this dip either!
So my favorite way to cook this dip is in my Crock-Pot Little Dipper. And no, this post is not sponsored by Crock-Pot. I just really love this little guy and I recommend it if you do a lot of entertaining (and it’s only$15!). While you can easily bake this dip up in the oven, I prefer to use my mini Crock-Pot because you can keep it plugged in on the counter so it will stay nice and warm for your guests.
- 1 can (about 14-ounces) artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained well
- 1 8-ounce package neufchâtel cheese, softened (or light or fat-free cream cheese)
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8-ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
- If using the oven, preheat to 350 degrees. In a food processor, add the artichokes and chop until the artichokes are broken into small chunks. Pour the artichokes out into a mixing bowl.
- Blend the neufchâtel cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and salt until smooth and creamy in the food processor and scrape the mixture into the mixing bowl with the artichokes.
- Add the chopped spinach to the bowl and mix together until everything is thoroughly combined. If you want the spinach to be chopped into even smaller pieces, toss it in the food processor and chop until it is chopped to your liking.
- Add to stoneware or shallow baking dish. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the monterey jack cheese. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes and serve.
- If using the mini Crock-Pot, cook for 1 1/2 hours. Sprinkle monterey jack cheese on top during the last 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Check out my original post for this dip here.
Disclosure: This post contains one affiliate link