Low-Fat Pasta Primavera
Another way to lighten the dish up is to use less pasta and load up on the veggies. You won’t feel cheated. This is a great dish to enjoy during Lent as well since it’s meatless, but if your family is anything like mine, some don’t consider a dish like this a full meal with no meat, so you can add chicken, shrimp, or salmon to make it heartier if desired.
Look at all the veggies!
You gotta love all of those bright and fresh veggies! Like I said, there’s really no right or wrong with the veggies you chose. I went with carrots, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and peas. You could also add peppers, broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus, etc. Go nuts!
- 1/2 lb. pasta (penne or farfalle work well)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil or parsley (for garnish)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside cooked pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 4 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds until fragrant. Remove the mixture from the pan into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms in a single layer and saute for about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside in the bowl with the carrots.
- Add the zucchini and squash to the pan and saute until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to the other cooked vegetables.
- Add the broth to the heated skillet along with the half and half. Let simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Then add the cooked pasta and all of the veggies along with the frozen peas. Stir together and let cook for about 5 minutes. The liquid should cook down. Serve with chopped herbs and more cheese if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 13g