Low-Fat Chicken Salad
Since returning to work, I have been seriously trying to up my lunch game. It’s not always easy as the mornings can be pretty tight for me. I always want to be sure that I get to give Maddie her morning bottle, but then have to go downstairs and pump before heading to work so I need lunches that I can prepare quickly.
I love chicken salad, but like you have probably heard me say a thousand times now, I HATE HATE when chicken salads, potato salads, or pasta salads are drowning in mayo. Yuck! I also love texture. I need some crunch mixed in there! This chicken salad is super simple to make and is much lower in fat thanks to one simple ingredient: Greek yogurt! Greek yogurt is a great substitute for mayonnaise. It’s nice and tangy, but with less fat! For that nice crunch I am always looking for, I added diced celery, apple, and sliced almonds. This chicken salad can be served over greens or on your favorite sandwich bread.
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (you can add more or less depending on how moist you prefer your chicken salad to be)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced green celery
- 1/2 cup diced apple
- 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- In a bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Then mix in the remaining ingredients until well-combined. Serve over salad or on the bread of your choice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g