Love Bug Cookies
Valentine’s Day is less than a week away and I couldn’t let it pass without sharing at least one cute recipe to make with your littlest Valentine’s!
These sweet little Love Bug Cookies are pretty simple to make and the kids will enjoy dipping and adding sprinkles. They use Oreo cookies as their base so no actual baking is required to make them! You can add extra fun to these by using different shades of red or pink to dip in. You can also use different varieties of sprinkles!
Some tips before you get started:
- I use the Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Melting Wafers for these. You will likely need more than one bag if you plan to make more than 12-15 cookies. The chocolate candy melt bags like from Wilton, for example, usually have more in each bag so it really depends on which type you use.
- I got about 17 cookies with this recipe and that was with me really trying to shake off as much excess of the chocolate as I could. Keep in mind that this may dictate how many total you can get.
- Don’t melt the entire bags of chocolate melts all at once. You will want to set a little aside for when you are ready to attach the eyeballs. The chocolate will act like a glue for the eyes. You could use some of the red candy melts for the eyes, but I prefer the milk chocolate so that it blends with the chocolate body.
- Use a toothpick or small spoon to add the milk chocolate “glue” for the eyes to avoid spooning too much. I used a toothpick to just dot some of the melted chocolate for the eyes. The toothpick would also be easiest for kids.
- Before dipping the cookies into the red candy melts, be sure that the milk chocolate layer has fully hardened. I waited an hour because I got distracted with other things, but I recommend waiting at least 30 minutes.
- Be prepared to work quickly with the red candy melts. You will need to add the sprinkles right away as it hardens very quickly and needs to be wet in order for the sprinkles to set.
- I like to use a 2 cup glass measuring cup for the chocolates. It’s microwave-safe and is narrow enough so that there’s plenty deep to fully immerse each cookie!
Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g