Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti Squash continues to be one of my most favorite low-carb swaps for pasta or heavier sides. It’s so versatile and easy to prepare! My Spaghetti Squash Parmesan is one of my favorites and this Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is also a favorite!
I wanted to make another recipe with spaghetti squash that could be more of a side dish rather than a main dish. This Lemon Ricotta version is so light and flavorful – perfect for spring!
To make this recipe, you just need to roast a spaghetti squash for about 40 minutes with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. After it’s tender, scrape out all the squash deliciousness and simply stir in some ricotta cheese, lemon juice and zest, another sprinkle of salt and that’s seriously it!
I also like to sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top and some fresh chopped parsley, but those are not required. If you want to prep this in advance, you can roast and shred the spaghetti squash up to two days in advance. Reheat in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove.
This dish is perfect on its own alongside grilled chicken or fish. If you want to make it more substantial, you could add chicken into the mixture or some veggies like peas, asparagus, or steamed broccoli.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to clean out the seeds. Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on each side of the squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet. Pierce some of the outside with a fork. Roast the squash for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip over. Using a fork, scrap the squash strands from the sides of the squash into a mixing bowl. Discard the outer shell/skin.
- Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and zest. Stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley. Serve warm.
You can prep the squash in advance if desired. Roast and shred and store in a container in the fridge. Heat in the microwave or on the stove in a pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g