Lemon Herb Potato Salad
I’m not sure how it’s possible that the month of May has come to an end, but here we are! This summer is going to be filled with a big change for my family and I as we are moving back to Florida in a few weeks! I’ve accepted a new position at a university and while I’m excited to be closer to my family, we will really miss our California family, the beautiful weather, Disneyland, and so many other things. June is going to be a busy month!
With summer cookouts just beginning, I thought I’d share a new potato salad recipe. This Lemon Herb Potato Salad is just pretty to look at with those purple fingerling potatoes and fresh green herbs. The simple dressing is made with half Greek yogurt and mayo, lots of fresh lemon juice and zest, and some salt. It’s the perfect potato salad for when you want a side that’s not as heavy as more traditional potato salads.
This potato salad can easily be served with burgers and hot dogs, but it also would go nicely with grilled chicken, fish, kebabs, etc.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- I used a bag of fingerling potatoes for this recipe. Baby gold or baby red potatoes also work well for this recipe, but really any type of potato will do.
- For the dressing, I used a combination of mayonnaise and plain Greek yogurt. You can use just Greek yogurt if you would prefer or just mayonnaise if you don’t have the yogurt or don’t like the taste.
- When cooking the potatoes, I recommend keeping a close eye as they are cooking. You want them to be just fork tender. Nothing is worse than mushy potato salad! The potatoes shouldn’t break apart too easily when you stir them with the dressing.
- This potato salad is best eaten with in 2-3 days after mixing. The dressing will turn more purple the longer it sits due to the purple fingerling potatoes.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- chopped rosemary (optional)
- Add halved potatoes to a large pot. Fill with water so potatoes are covered by at least 2 inches of water. Cover and turn heat to medium. Bring to a light boil and cook until potatoes are just fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside and add to a mixing bowl or large container.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayo, salt, lemon juice and zest, and the herbs. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir gently so the potatoes are tossed in the dressing. Add more salt, additional lemon juice, and/or herbs to taste if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve. Store leftovers in the fridge. Potato salad is best enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g