It’s been so nice outside lately and we’ve had some pretty chilly days and nights which I love. This obviously means that I can’t stop making soup. I’ve been wanting to try making lasagna soup for a long time and finally made it a top priority!
Lasagna soup is nothing new around the interwebs and frankly, I was really unsure if I was going to like it or not. I love lasagna and I love tomato soup, but I was worried lasagna soup would taste like thinned out tomato juice with some noodles and meat thrown in. I’m happy to report that I was wrong! This soup is really very simple to make too! All you have to do is brown some ground beef and then everything else is just thrown into the pot, including the lasagna noodles which cook in the same pot. You have to love any recipe where you only have to pull out one pot!
My favorite part of this soup was piling on copious amounts of ricotta and shredded mozzarella on top of my bowl. It may or may not have been kind of an embarrassing amount, but whatever, the baby likes cheese, so it’s all good!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (can add more if needed)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan, shredded mozzarella
- fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef. Break up with a spatula and cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt. Stir in the garlic and broken noodles.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, paste, and chicken broth. Stir until combined. Lower the heat to medium low and cover. Let the soup simmer until the noodles are cooked, about 15-20 minutes. If needed, add more broth.
- Once the noodles are cooked, stir in the half and half and season with more salt to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a scoop of ricotta cheese and a handful of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese (and parsley, if desired). Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 319mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 30g