Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
Meatloaf. I honestly don’t think I’ve had meatloaf since I was a kid. I’ve been thinking of new recipes to try in my Instant Pot lately as I feel like I often make the same three recipes in it. Meatloaf crossed my mind and with how cold it’s been lately, it just sounded like a comforting meal served with creamy mashed potatoes, of course!
The meatloaf and mashed potatoes cook together in the Instant Pot so it couldn’t be easier! The meatloaf comes together in minutes and the potatoes are also simple to mix up. I like to serve this with some roasted or steamed broccoli on the side!
I use ketchup in the meatloaf. You can also use BBQ sauce if you prefer it or a mixture of both. For the outside of the meatloaf, I brush on a mixture of ketchup and BBQ sauce which adds more flavor for the meatloaf.
For the mashed potatoes, I have made them in the Instant Pot a few times with both chicken or veggie broth and water. I personally prefer to just use water, but some prefer the extra flavor broth adds. Either one works just fine though!
One other thing to note – I have an 8 quart Instant Pot and have found 25 minutes is more than enough time for the meatloaf to cook. I don’t make mine super thick either. As you can see from the photos, I form it long enough to just fit into the pot.
For the Meatloaf:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup and/or BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (whichever you prefer!)
For the Potatoes:
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups water (or veggie or chicken broth)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large mixing bowl, add the beef, eggs, milk, breadcrumbs, ketchup, and seasonings. Use your hands to bring to mixture together until well-combined. Form the mixture into a loaf. Prepare a sheet of foil and place the loaf onto the middle of the foil. Fold the edges up around the loaf (to prevent liquid from dripping while cooking). Set aside.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the bottom of the Instant Pot along with the water.
- Place the trivet on top of the potatoes. Then place the meatloaf on top of the trivet. Place and lock the lid on the pot and set valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Do a quick release when finished. Carefully lift the meatloaf out and drain liquid. Set oven to broil. In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup and BBQ sauce. Brush on top of meatloaf. Broil the meatloaf for 3 minutes and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the meatloaf is under the broiler, add the butter, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and milk to the potatoes. Use a masher or hand mixer to mash and combine. Add additional milk if too thick or additional seasonings as desired. Serve with meatloaf.
Nutrition estimate includes both meatloaf (2 slices) and mashed potatoes (about 1 cup).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 983Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 254mgSodium: 1559mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 7gSugar: 23gProtein: 57g
This estimate includes both the meatloaf (2 slices) and serving of mashed potatoes (about 1 cup).