Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Raise your hand if you make mac and cheese weekly. Raise both your hands if you make it multiple times a week! ::raises both hands high::
Mac and cheese is a staple in our house and is one of the only foods my oldest will eat. While I have no hate for making boxed mac and cheese, of course, I’d rather she eat it homemade. I don’t always have a lot of time when I get home from work.
The Instant Pot has definitely become one of my most favorite kitchen tools. I know, I’m trying NOT to turn this into an IP blog, but it’s such a lifesaver. I’ve been hearing people rave about making mac and cheese in the IP, so it was time to give it a try.
Truth be told, this recipe took me three tries to figure out. The first time I had way too much liquid in the pot at the end, and the second time it was a little dry and not cheesy enough. But, I think I’ve finally got it!
This recipe has just the right amount of cheese. If you want it to be thicker and more “cheesier”, than you will want to add less half and half at the end.
One crucial step you can’t really skip with this recipe is the cheese. I strongly recommend NOT using pre-shredded cheese. As many of you may already know, additives are typically added to pre-packaged shredded cheese to keep it from sticking together. These additives make the cheese not melt as well and the result is a thick and clumpier macaroni and cheese. So, you will want to grate your own cheese fresh off the block. I can do this pretty quickly while the macaroni is cooking. I like using a combo of sharp cheddar and mozzarella.
I also like to use a combination of water and broth. The broth adds a richer flavor, but if you don’t have broth, you can just use water!
One other tip I can give is to make sure that after you add the macaroni, broth, and seasonings to the pot, stir them together before covering and cooking. I’ve noticed when I do not do that that I sometimes have quite a bit of liquid left in the pot after it’s done.
This mac and cheese is the perfect EASY side dish to make and adults and kiddos love it!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 2 cups low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- approximately 1 cup whole milk (or half and half)
- salt to taste
- Add the macaroni into the Instant Pot. Pour in the broth, water, butter, mustard powder, and garlic powder. Stir together.
- Cover the macaroni and switch valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to manual 5 minutes at high pressure. When the timer goes off, do a quick release. Open the lid. There may still be some liquid in the pot, do not drain it out.
- Add in the cheeses and additional butter if desired. Stir until melted. Add in milk or half and half, about 1/2 cup at a time until the mac and cheese reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt to taste. Serve.