It has been a couple of REALLY bad weeks in my house. The cold from hell is still around and I can’t believe how long this thing is lasting. We’ve been cooped up in the house and are really starting to go a little nuts, especially the girls. We’ve made a few trips out of the house, but not for very long and I’ve missed so much work.
You’ve probably already heard the flu shot this year was only 10% effective and there are a record number of sick people this winter. I’ve been making these Immunity smoothies on repeat over the past week because I need ALL of the Vitamin C I can get!
This immunity-boosting smoothie is packed with oranges and believe it or not, even some carrots! Both of these are super high in Vitamin C! I also tossed in a frozen banana which gives the smoothie a dreamy ice cream-like texture, some strawberries, and some Greek yogurt for some protein. I actually didn’t feel the need to add any sweetener, but of course you can add honey, agave, or whatever your sweetener of choice would be!
One quick note about the carrots, I added raw grated baby carrots. The raw carrots do add a pulp-like texture to the smoothie. If you don’t want that, you can steam your carrots first before adding them to the blender and that should help them blend up more smoothly. It’s totally up to you though! I also added about a cup of liquid to the smoothie to thin it. I used a splash of apple juice and milk. You can use water, any kind of milk, or fruit juice for this and just add more until the smoothie reaches your desired thickness!
- 1 medium ripe frozen banana (peel before freezing)
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup strawberries (can use fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup grated carrots (can add in raw or steam if desired)
- 3/4 plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- approx. 1 cup liquid (water, any milk, or fruit juice)
- sweetener of choice (agave, honey, etc.)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more liquid if smoothie is too thick until your desired thickness is reached. Serve.