Hummus Topped with Tomato and Corn Salsa
The 4th of July is almost here and I’ve got a super quick last-minute party appetizer for you! One of my most favorite things to eat during the summer is tomatoes, corn, and avocado. Mix them together and I’m one happy lady!
And with all the 4th of July festivities like parades and festivals, the last thing I have time for is to be in the kitchen for hours prepping a fancy food spread. This is one of those appetizers that looks more impressive than it actually is.
I used a regular tub of pre-made hummus from the grocery store and topped it with this homemade tomato and avocado salsa with fresh corn. I wasn’t really sure if I should call this “salsa” since it’s so chunky, but hey, it has tomatoes, so we are going with salsa here! I went with plain hummus, but you could also use other varieties like garlic, red pepper, or even lemony hummus would also probably be really yummy with the topping!
I served it with sliced flatbread, but sliced pita bread or even pita chips also works well with this recipe.
This is one of the appetizers that has a ton of flavor and is pretty light so it won’t weigh you down. It’s perfect to serve with some crisp white wine or sangria!
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 ear fresh corn, shaved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt to taste
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
- 10 ounces hummus
- Sliced flatbread, pita, or pita chips
- In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes, corn, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Then gently fold in the avocado. Season with salt to taste.
- Spread the hummus in a shallow bowl into an even layer and then top with the salsa. Serve with sliced pita, flatbread, or pita chips.
Serving Size:about 1/2 cup hummus and topping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition estimates only include hummus and salsa topping.