Hot Cocoa Mix
Okay, I’ve got one more sweet Christmas recipe for you guys. This homemade hot cocoa mix is perfect for homemade holiday gifts for friends, family, co-workers, teachers, you name it! Everybody loves a warm mug of hot chocolate. While I do buy the pre-made packets, homemade mix is always a special treat. There are no weird added ingredients and you can get creative with the mix. It’s made with just 4 ingredients: powdered milk, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and some chocolate. You can use dark chocolate powder and dark chocolate if you want a richer hot cocoa. I also highly recommend a good quality cocoa powder (like dutch process) if you can as I think it can make a difference with the overall taste of the hot chocolate.
Buy some jars, cute labels, and pretty ribbon and make some sweet little gifts for your loved ones! I think it would also be really cute to do a hot cocoa kit complete with a jar of the hot cocoa mix, a couple of cute mugs, and some mini marshmallows for the topping!
Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cups non-fat powdered milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch process is great; can also use dark chocolate powder)
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (can adjust to taste)
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate (can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate)
- Add the powedered milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is well-combined and is in a fine powder. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Then add the chocolate to the food processor and process until the chocolate is broken down into a powder. Add the chocolate to the powdered milk mixture and stir until well-combined. Transfer the mix to jars or an airtight container.
- To make the hot cocoa, add about 2 tablespoons of mix to every 8 ounces of warm milk or water (or feel free to add more mix to taste if desired).