Honey Lime Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa
Raise your hand if you are a total salsa addict? That’s me. I’m basically addicted to ALL of the salsas – tomato salsa, fruit salsas, a combo of the two, I love it all. Okay, well, maybe not super spicy salsa though.
Grilling season is upon us which means I’m going to be grilling chicken or fish every day on repeat from now until the fall and my husband is going to roll his eyes with boredom when he asks what’s for dinner and I tell him it’s more grilled chicken. Hey, it’s lean and easy to make! And it’s also the perfect vehicle for piling salsa on top of.
I make this mango avocado salsa A LOT. It’s so yummy on chicken or salmon. It’s even better served on top of chicken marinated in fresh lime juice and honey and then grilled to perfection! This is my new favorite dinner for summer for sure.
I like to marinate the chicken for about 30 minutes. I don’t think it needs any longer than that and while it’s chilling in the fridge, I make the salsa. This is a really simple main dish. With the salsa on top, it’s also pretty filling so you can keep the side dishes equally as light and easy. It’s great with salad, steamed veggies, roasted potatoes, or rice.
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salsa:
- 2 cups diced mango (can you fresh or thawed frozen)
- 2 small avocados, pitted and diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- salt to taste
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound each sliced chicken breast to about 1/3-inch thickness and arrange on a plate or bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, honey, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Pour the marinade on top of the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the salsa. Add the diced mango, avocado, onion, lime juice, and cilantro in another bowl. Stir gently to combine (to avoid mashing the avocado). Season with salt to taste. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue grilling for another 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve each grilled chicken breasts with salsa on top and desired sides.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast with 1 cup salsa
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 662mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 26g Protein: 29g