Homemade Pancake Mix
Pancakes are one of the small handful of things my picky toddler really enjoys so we make them a lot for breakfast. Plus, Baby #2 is also a carb lover so I’d be totally lying if I said all the pancake-making was just appease my 2 year-old!
I’ve tried a lot of different boxed pancake mixes and while there are certainly some good ones out there, they can be pricey and contain other “extra” ingredients that you may not want in your morning breakfast! Making your own homemade pancake mix is seriously so easy, you will wonder why it took you so long to give it a try. All you need is some flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. You can it mix up a double or triple batch and give it away as cute little gifts too and people will love you forever and always!
To make the pancakes, you just need some very simple ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge and pantry. I left these plain since I wanted you to have the base recipe, but obviously adding in other fun ingredients like fruits and chocolate chips is totally recommended! I also used regular milk, but you can use buttermilk instead if you want super fluffy pancakes with a more distinct homemade pancake flavor.
For the dry mix:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To make the pancakes:
- 1 cup dry pancake mix
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or vegetable oil
- optional add-ins: sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.
- To prepare the dry mix, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt in a bowl. Store mix in an airtight container.
- To make the pancakes, take 1 cup of the dry mix and combine with the egg, milk, vanilla, and melted butter in a bowl. Stir until just combined, leaving some lumps.
- Add a pat of butter to a hot griddle or pan on medium high heat and scoop about 1/4 cup of the mix (or however much you want) to the pan. Cook until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes, flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until golden on both sides and cooked through. Serve.
Serving Size:2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Nutriton calculation only includes pancakes. Butter for topping, syrup, or other add-ins are not included.