Herb and Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a Thanksgiving table staple in my house. The classic Sweet Potato Casserole is a crowd favorite and for good reason, brown sugar and marshmallow topping pair perfectly with sweet potatoes. Do I dare say though that sometimes the thought of a super sweet side dish is…too much?
Instead of the classic sweet potato casserole, I’ve been loving these mashed sweet potatoes with a savory twist! Some browned butter and fresh chopped herbs give the sweet potatoes a whole new flavor profile and are a really delicious alternative to making them even sweeter by adding sugar and marshmallows. The browned butter adds a hint of nuttiness and I chopped up fresh thyme and rosemary. These were super delish!
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- Browning the butter really sets these mashed sweet potatoes to a whole new level, however, if you are short on time or don’t care about that aspect of the recipe, you can skip it and just add butter directly.
- I liked to use thyme and rosemary for this recipe, but chopped or toasted sage would also be a great addition!
- If you want to prep the potatoes ahead of time, you can boil and mash them and store them in a container in the fridge. The day you plan to serve them, brown the butter in a pan/pot and then add the potatoes and herbs and heat until warmed.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the diced sweet potatoes to a large pot. Fill with water until the potatoes are covered. Heat over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Boil potatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes break apart with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the butter to a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add the butter and heat until melted. Stir the butter constantly until it begins to turn golden and has a nutty fragrance. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and place the cooked sweet potatoes back into the pot or a mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or hand mixer and start to mash potatoes. Add in the browned butter, herbs, and half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g