Grilled Summer Flatbread Pizzas
Grilled flatbread pizzas are a delicious and easy way to enjoy pizza in the summertime without having to prep dough indoors. Flatbread is the perfect substitute for traditional pizza dough. I personally always prefer a thinner crust, especially when its super hot out and when I want lighter meals.
To make the pizzas, I rubbed a bit of olive oil and salt on the flatbread and then topped them with fresh mozzarella slices, cherry tomatoes, grilled corn, and then topped them with a big pile of fresh arugula tossed in a light and lemony dressing.
These pizzas a fresh and simple and a great base to add other toppings. Grilled chicken would be a great way to make them a bit heartier. You could also add crumbled bacon. Other veggies would also be good like sliced avocados.
Since the flatbread is already cooked, the pizzas do not require a lot of cooking time, just enough to crisp up the flatbread and melt the cheese so whatever toppings you want to add, I recommend choosing ones that do not “require” cooking. I grilled the corn before adding to this pizza.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- You can use either flatbread or naan bread for this recipe. I’ve used both and either works well!
- I grilled the corn to cook it before adding to the pizza by brushing some oil and salt around the corn and grilling for a couple of minutes on each side. Let cool for a few minutes and then shave the corn off the cob with a knife.
- Before adding toppings to the flatbread, you will need to grill it first. Brush olive oil and salt on each side and grill until warm and toasted. Remove from the grill and have all your toppings ready to go to assemble. Stick back on the grill for a couple of minutes just until the cheese is melted and it’s ready!
- I topped my pizza with a big pile of fresh arugula that I tossed in a bit of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- This recipe is super easy to make in larger batches and can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature which makes it great for parties!
- Serve as an appetizer or as a light lunch or dinner.
- Feel free to add heartier toppings like grilled chicken if you want to make these more of a meal.
- 1 corn on the cob, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- sea salt
- 2 flatbread (or naan bread)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Heat grill to 400 degrees. Brush corn with one teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill the corn for 2 minutes on each side until lightly charred. Remove from the grill, let cool for a couple of minutes. Use a sharp knife to shave corn off the cob and set aside.
- Brush one tablespoon of the olive oil on both sides of each flatbread and sprinkle with salt. Grill flatbreads on each side for about 3 minutes or until the grill marks appear and bread is warm.
- Remove the bread from the grill. Divide the mozzarella on top of each flatbread followed by the tomatoes and corn. Sprinkle with additional salt to taste. Transfer the pizzas back to the grill once more and grill for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove pizzas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil, juice of one lemon, and sea salt to taste. Toss with the arugula.
- Top each pizza with the arugula. Slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 659mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g