Goat Cheese Ball Spiders
I can’t believe October is already halfway over. It always just flies by, probably because it’s my favorite month of the year!
We are thoroughly soaking up every minute of Halloween fun that we can on the weekends and have some fun parties coming up. I’ve got another savory Halloween appetizer for you guys today! These little Goat Cheese Ball Spiders!
Maddie said they kind of look like Minions and I think she’s totally right, haha. It’s the color of the pistachios and olive “goggles”. But, they are yummy and cute and so we are going to go with it!
I was first thinking about just rolling these in poppy seeds to make the spiders black, but I feel like they would leave you and your guests with a bunch of black tiny seeds stuck in your teeth. So I went with crushed green pistachios instead!
The cheese balls are made with goat cheese and cream cheese as a base along with some seasoning. Super simple and I was pleasantly surprised that these guys actually came together pretty quickly!
For the legs, you just need a small handful of pretzel sticks and sliced olives for the eyes!
I think this appetizer is good for everyone, but the goat cheese definitely makes it a bit more adult-friendly as I know a lot of kiddos don’t like goat cheese.
One tip – You can prep the cheese balls the night before if desired, however, I don’t recommend rolling them into the pistachios or inserting the pretzel stick legs until it’s closer to when you want to serve them. The cheese mixture softens the pistachios and pretzel sticks the longer they sit.
- 8 ounces plain cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces garlic and herb goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup crushed pistachios
- 1 cup pretzel sticks
- 20 sliced olives
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend together the cream cheese, goat cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoning until smooth and combined. Cover the bowl and place into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the crushed pistachios into a shallow bowl. Break each pretzel stick in half and set aside.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer, Scoop out about two tablespoons of the cheese mixture and set aside. Then, spoon about 2-3 tablespoons out and roll into a ball with your hands. Roll each ball in the pistachios until coated. Repeat.
- Take 3-4 pretzel stick halves and stick into the bottom half of each ball to make the legs. Take an olive slice and place some of the cheese mixture you set aside into the center of the olive (this will act as a glue to keep the eyes stuck to the pistachios) and stick onto the balls to make the eyes.
- Cover and place in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving. You can prepare the cheese mixture and form into balls the night before if desired, but I do not recommend rolling in the pistachios or inserting the prezel sticks unti the day of as they can soften the longer they sit.
Serving Size:1 cheese ball spider
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g