Everyone has a certain flavor that reminds them of Christmas. For some it’s eggnog, for which I am still just not so sure how I feel about. For others, it’s peppermint.
Speaking of peppermint, I have a confession. I think it’s time I come clean about something. We’re all friends here, right?
Ok, here it goes…I don’t really like peppermint.
I know, I’m sorry. Please don’t throw garbage at me. I don’t HATE it, I just don’t really care for it. I only like mint flavor in a few things: toothpaste, gum, tea, mouthwash, mint chip ice cream, and..well, that’s about it. I don’t like peppermint bark either. This is also because it contains white chocolate, which, by the way, I really do hate.
My favorite Christmas flavor is gingerbread. I’ll skip the peppermint, just give me the gingerbread. In all forms. Cookie, latte, and now, martini. And just a warning, this thing is dangerously addicting. The gingerbread syrup is really where it’s at with this drink, so add as much or as little as you like. I kind of want to pour the syrup on everything though.
For the gingerbread syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the martini:
- 2 ounces vanilla vodka
- 1.5 ounces Kahlua
- 1.5 ounces Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 3 tablespoons gingerbread syrup (or to taste)
- 2.5 ounces half and half (plus about 2 tbs. for the rim)
- gingerbread cookies (for the rim and for garnish)(I like Pepperidge Farm)
- whipped cream (for garnish)
For the syrup:
- In a small saucepan, heat the water, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon on medium heat until the sugar dissolves (about 5 minutes).
For the martini:
- Crush about 2-3 small gingerbread cookies in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin. Place the crumbs in a saucer and set aside.
- Pour the 2 tablespoons of half and half into a small saucer. Dip the rims of the martini glasses into the half and half. Then dip into the gingerbread crumbs and set the glasses aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine, the vodka, Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream, gingerbread syrup, and the half and half. Shake well and pour into martini glasses. Place a dollop of whipped cream on top and then place a gingerbread cookie on top of the whipped cream and serve.
If you can’t find gingerbread cookies, you can also use gingersnap or Biscoff cookies.
Serving Size:1 martini
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 0gSugar: 32gProtein: 1g