Ginger Pear Cream of Wheat
Growing up, I never really had cream of wheat, I have always been more of an oatmeal person. I have more recently re-discovered how great cream of wheat is. And it was totally fortuitous that this month’s Cooking Light had a yummy recipe for it! There is a whole section on shortcut ideas and this ginger pear cream of wheat caught my eye. It just sounded warm and comforting and I’ve been craving pears.
It couldn’t be easier. Just take a packet of instant cream of wheat, some fresh sliced pears with some brown sugar and cinnamon, toasted walnuts, and a crushed gingersnap cookie and an ordinary and plain bowl of cream of wheat becomes something so much better!
This recipe is an excellent alternative to oatmeal when you are wanting a warm fall breakfast that you can make any day of the week!
- 1 packet instant Cream of Wheat
- 1/2 pear, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 gingersnap cookie, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon toasted chopped walnuts
- Prepare Cream of Wheat according to package directions.
- Add the sliced pear to a small bowl and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the pear slices on top of the Cream of Wheat. Sprinkle the crumbled gingersnap and walnuts on top.
recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g