Flashback Friday: White Bean and Chicken Chili
October means it’s time to start showing scary movies on TV. I’m not typically a horror movie person. Like, I don’t really rush out and see them at the theaters. I’m not into gore-fests like the Saw movies and some of the others ones really do creep me out.
But, I’m talking about classic horror movies like Halloween. And then there is the most recent Halloween movie with Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks and it is both terrible and awesome all at the same time. Also, horror movies from the late 90’s rock my world like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Urban Legend. Yes, I also consider these classics. And let’s not forget the best Halloween movie of all time, Hocus Pocus. It’s the best and don’t try to tell me anything different. My obsession with ghost hunting shows also intensifies.
Oh, and can we also talk about how freaking excited I am for American Horror Story and Walking Dead next week? Dying. My DVR is getting a major workout this month. My life is sad, huh? Please tell me I’m not alone here!!
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a big fan of chili. It’s so warm and comforting, especially during this time of year. Somebody in this house is not really a big fan though. I think it’s all of the tomatoes or too many beans, but this white bean and chicken chili is an exception! This chili is flavorful and easy to make. Make some of my Easy Cornbread and you’ve got the ultimate cold weather meal!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15-ounce cans) white or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ground pepper to taste
- Optional: cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips for garnishing
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Saute the onion and cook until it is translucent (3-5 mins.). Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the ground chicken, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Break the chicken up and continue stirring until the chicken is fully cooked (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add the flour to the chicken. Add the beans, corn, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and stir the mixture, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 60 minutes until the liquid reduced by about half and has thickened. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 12gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g