Flashback Friday: Chicken Pepperoni-Marinara
We eat a lot of chicken in this house. I’m a big fan of the organic packs at Costco. Having a lot of chicken in the freezer means we typically have chicken 2-3 times a week. This also means that chicken can get reallllly boring. We tend to fall back on just grilling it. And that’s when Flashback Fridays really step in to save the day because I can look through the blog and rediscover some really yummy recipes that I have completely forgotten about to change things up a bit!
This Chicken Pepperoni-Marinara is actually a recipe from Cooking Light from a couple of years ago. I knew I had to make it as soon as I saw it. I mean, chicken, sauce, pepperoni, and super gooey melted cheese? Duh! It’s kind of like eating pizza, except with a good dose of protein instead of carbs! Except for the fact that I then served it with a nice helping of spaghetti which totally defeats the low-carb aspect, but whatever! This is also a great dish to make to get the kiddos eating some protein as it will remind them of pizza!
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 16 slices pepperoni, chopped plus more for garnish (I used turkey pepperoni)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (bottled or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (If thick, I cut mine in half for faster cooking time)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Add the the garlic and pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic begins to brown. Add the oregano and stir. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with some salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on each side about 3-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Spoon the sauce on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the chicken. Add additional slices of pepperoni on top. Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese melts. Garnish with the basil. Serve with pasta or veggies!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g