Easy Minestrone Soup
I have been absolutely LOVING the weather we’ve been having for the last month. It’s been in the low-to-mid 60’s, some days a tad chillier. I am soaking up every bit of this cooler weather because within the next two months, it’s going to climb and climb!
Between the weather and the fact that all three of us have been sick since Christmas, I’ve been making a LOT of soup around here. A Lot. While I’ve mostly been making chicken noodle soup, I’ve had to change it up a bit with some of my tortilla soup, and this easy peasy minestrone soup!
This soup is so incredibly simple to make. I love the heartiness of the beans in a minestrone soup. I used cannellini because that’s what I had in my pantry, but kidney or navy beans also work well. You can also add in pasta if desired, but I left it out of mine as I have been trying to watch my carbs. This minestrone soup is easy and comforting and perfect to enjoy on a cool night!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans (can also use navy or kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Optional: 2-3 cups cooked elbow macaroni (if using, increase broth by 2-3 cups)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (for topping)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then stir in the celery and carrots. Season the veggies with and pepper.
- Pour in the broth, followed by the beans and the diced tomatoes (liquid included). Cover and simmer the soup over medium low heat for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender. If adding pasta, add in now. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded Parmesan on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1200mg Carbohydrates: 24g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g