Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
Everyone needs a basic homemade pizza dough recipe. The thought of making homemade dough used to intimidate me. Well, having to make anything with yeast scared me. But, it really ain’t no thang. Homemade pizza dough is not that difficult. It only requires a few ingredients: yeast, water, flour, oil, salt, and sugar. Before the baby arrived, I tried to make a lot of different dinner options for the freezer and frozen dough was more certainly one of them! It’s a good thing too because I have had little energy to cook anything and have been lucky to eat dinner by 8pm every night if we are lucky!
This recipe makes enough for two pizzas so you can prepare one right away and freeze the other for another day! I sometimes even divide the dough into 4 servings for mini pizzas or for quick mini loaves of bread to serve with dinner so you can use it for more than just pizza if you want.
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 standard packet dry instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough attachment, pour in the water followed by the yeast. Gently stir together and let stand for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to get foamy.
- Add in the flour, sugar, salt, and the oil and mix by hand or with the dough hook for about 2 minutes. You can add more flour if needed if the dough is too sticky or more warm water if it seems too dry. Once combined, either knead with your hands on a floured surface or with the dough hook for about 5-7 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Grease a bowl with more oil. Place the dough ball into the bowl and roll around to coat the ball with some of the oil and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for about one hour in a warm environment (I like to turn my oven to about 200 degrees F) and place the bowl on top of the stove to rise.
- Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface. Divide the dough ball in half and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out to about 1-inch thickness. Top with desired toppings and bake in oven at 425 degrees on a pizza pan or stone until golden (about 10-15 minutes depending on toppings). To freeze the unused portion, wrap in plastic wrap and then seal in a freezer-safe bag.