Easy Cornbread Stuffing
Stuffing! Let’s be honest, it’s the best side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Come on, you know it’s true! Okay, I know some of you probably disagree, but that’s okay. More stuffing for me!
Just give me a plate of homemade stuffing and I’m good to go. I’ve been wanting to try a cornbread stuffing for some years now and finally got around to making a batch last week. It’s so yummy! What makes this recipe easy is that you can use pre-made cornbread. I picked some up from my grocery store’s bakery. If you can’t find it already made, you can just whip some up from your favorite box mix.
I also added some regular stuffing mix to give the stuffing some of that more traditional flavor and texture. Finally, the eggs. I know not everyone adds eggs to their stuffing, but I’ve been team add-eggs-to-your-stuffing since forever. If you’ve never added eggs to stuffing, they help bind the stuffing together and add a bit of richness. I highly recommend giving the eggs a try!
This cornbread stuffing is perfect if you are wanting to do something a little different this year or if you are looking for a fun dish to bring to a holiday party! ‘Tis the season for stuffing!
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups prepared cornbread, diced
- 1 1/2 cups bagged stuffing (like Pepperidge Farm)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over low heat. Add the onion and celery and stir. Let the mixture cook until the veggies are tender and most of the butter is absorbed, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add the cornbread, stuffing mix, beaten eggs, broth, seasonings, and parsley. Gently stir the mixture together until well-combined, being careful not to break up the cornbread too much.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes until the stuffing is cooked through and lightly browned on top.
Serving Size:1/6th of 8x8 dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7.4gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 848mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g