Easy Beef Stew
I’ve now lived in 4 states including Ohio, Florida, California, and Arizona and hands down, California has the best weather! It’s been just chilly enough for me these past couple of months to pull out my favorite cozy sweaters, but not so cold, I want to die (like I do when I go to Ohio). We’ve also been enjoying a healthy amount of rain which I also love!
We’ve been having a lot of soups, stews, and slow cooker meals because they are just warm and comforting and super easy since I’ve been feeling super lazy towards the end of this pregnancy. I was looking through some really old blog posts last week and came across this post for my mom’s beef stew and couldn’t believe it has been so many years since I last made it so I made a big pot last weekend and re-shot the hideous photos!
This beef stew is pretty simple to make, but it does take about 4 hours to cook. I promise that it is worth the time because that is how the beef gets so wonderfully tender! I like to add some tomato paste and extra red wine to my stew because of the richer flavor they add. It’s a great meal for lazy weekends served with some warm and crusty bread.
- 1 1/2-2 pounds stew beef
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups whole pearl onions, peel outer layer
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large pot, dredge beef in the flour. Add to pot and brown meat on each side for approximately 3 minutes. Add water, wine, and tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Add in the onions and carrots. Add more salt and pepper as needed. Simmer for another hour and a half.
- Add the potatoes and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Add the peas during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking. Serve.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 419mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 30g