Easy Beef and Broccoli
If you guys missed my most recent baby update, sleep has been pretty much non-existent in this house for the past month or so. Natalie has been waking up constantly and I’ve been just exhausted. Cooking dinner has not been my favorite activity as of late, but we certainly can’t order in all of the time and I’ve been making a lot of quick dinners lately and this Easy Beef and Broccoli is a new one that my husband and I both gave a huge thumbs up and I’ll definitely be making this one again.
This dinner comes together in under 30 minutes. The longest part for me is slicing the flank steak and actually, I planned ahead and sliced my meat the night before I made this and it saved a lot of time the next night so that is definitely an option if you want to make this during a weekday!
The sauce is super simple, just beef broth, soy sauce, a touch of brown sugar, rice vinegar, and some spices. The steak is sliced nice and thin and cooks really quickly and the whole recipe comes together before you know it! I served this over rice, but you could also serve it over ramen noodles. Heck, it’s so yummy, I could just eat alone maybe with more veggies tossed in for a lower carb dinner!
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add the sliced flank steak, season with salt, and cook for about 3-4 minutes, then flip each slice and continue cooking until lightly browned, another 3-4 minutes.
- While the steak cooks, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger in a bowl. Transfer cooked steak to a plate and set aside and return the pan to the heat.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir together the water and corn starch in a bowl and mix in with the sauce. Let the sauce start to thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Then add in the broccoli (see note below) and beef. Lower the heat to medium low and let the broccoli cook until tender. Season with more salt to taste. Serve over rice, noodles, or more veggies.
I prefer my broccoli to be al dente. The broccoli will cook when tossed with everything during the last few minutes, but if you prefer softer broccoli, you can add it in sooner or steam separately to reach your desired consistency.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1293mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2.7gSugar: 9gProtein: 37g