Crustless Veggie Quiche
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
February is Heart Health Month and so I have partnered with my friends at Mazola® Corn Oil to create heart healthy recipe to share! And what better recipe to share than this quiche that is packed with heart healthy swaps?! I never used to cook much with corn oil, but I’ve been trying to reduce the amount of saturated fats that we eat. Simple swaps, such as substituting butter with Mazola Corn Oil, is an easy way to make a change. In fact, a clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com. Needless to say, I’ve been using corn oil a lot more frequently lately!
I love quiches of all types. That buttery crust and cheesy filling is heaven on a plate, but it’s also not the healthiest choice. I made this crustless vegetable quiche that is not only healthier, but also super flavorful! Instead of using olive oil, I used corn oil. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing! For the eggs, I used half whole eggs and half egg whites.
I decided to leave the crust out entirely for this recipe. The quiche has such good flavor on its own, I didn’t miss the crust at all! I loaded this quiche up with sautéed onions, mushrooms, and fresh spinach. You can swap out these veggies for others like broccoli or tomatoes if desired.
And in place of heavier cheeses, I used crumbled feta cheese and grated Parmesan cheese! I love feta and Parmesan cheese because they are lighter than other cheeses, but both have a nice strong flavor and saltiness!
This quiche is super simple to mix up and cooks for about 35 minutes and is ready to be enjoyed for breakfast or brunch!
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3 whole large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 slices cooked turkey bacon, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the Mazola corn oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until translucent. Add the diced mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the spinach and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the spinach is cooked and wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and the milk until the eggs are fully beaten. Then stir in the milk, veggies, feta cheese, and the Parmesan cheese. Pour the mixture into the pie dish. Sprinkle the crumbled turkey bacon on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 35-40 minutes or until the quiche has set in the middle and is lightly golden on top. Slice and serve!
Serving Size:1 slice (when cut into 8 slices)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 518mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g