College football starts this weekend! I can’t wait to watch my ‘Noles go for another championship this year! This means it’s time to breakout the football food! And it’s Labor Day weekend, which for me, means it’s the start of fall even though I know it doesn’t technically start until later in September. Whatever!
And what’s better for a day of football than a big crockpot of carnitas?! This is a great recipe for a crowd and it doesn’t require much prep work at all which means you can spend more time with you friends and family and watch the game!
I actually wasn’t really sure what I was doing when I put this recipe together, but the meat ended up being really tender and flavorful and the hubs most definitely approved. To crisp it up like traditional carnitas, I stuck the meat under the broiler after it was done cooking to let it crisp up as opposed to frying in oil. To serve them up, I recommend setting up a big taco bar with corn and flour tortillas and lots of good toppings! Oh and margaritas. Don’t forget the margaritas!
- 5 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or beer)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Place the pork into the slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together the cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper. Rub the spice mixture on the pork. In another bowl, stir together the broth (or beer), juice, and the salsa. Pour the mixture around the pork. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
- Remove the cooked pork from the slow cooker. Shred with a fork and place the meat on a baking sheet lined with foil. Discard fat. Place the shredded pork under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and serve with your favorite taco fixings! If you want the juice, use a mesh sieve to skim the top of the liquid in the crockpot to remove any solids. Pour into a bowl and serve alongside the meat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 499mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g