Crocktoberfest: Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
Happy Crocktoberfest 2013! Wendy from Around My Family Table and I recently asked a bunch of great bloggers to join us in celebration of the trusty crockpot and are bringing you one week of nothing but crockpot recipes! Although I like to use my slow cooker all year long, it just seems even more right using it in the fall. Today, we are all about breakfast recipes!
My crockpot gets a good workout around my house, but only ever for dinner. I’ve never used it for anything else so I was totally up for the challenge to make a breakfast recipe. As we approach the holiday season, it’s nice to have recipes on hand that you can use to feed a crowd. This breakfast casserole is perfect! It’s loaded with eggs, hash browns, breakfast sausage, cheese, and oh, some spinach, yeah, gotta put something healthy in there right?!
The biggest challenge with this one is the timing and it might depend on the type of crockpot you have. Mine is programmable which makes cooking overnight a little easier. I cooked mine on low for about 7 hours so I set it before bed and let it switch off to warm so it wouldn’t overcook by the time we were ready to eat it. If you’re an early riser, you can also consider cooking the casserole on high for 4 hours.
- 30 oz. shredded hash browns
- 3/4 lb. crumbled sausage, cooked and drained
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- Spray the inside of a crockpot with non-stick spray. Layer half of the hash browns in an even layer on the bottom. Sprinkle the cooked sausage (and bacon) in an even layer, then 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Layer the remaining hash browns followed by the spinach and the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and the salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 26gCholesterol: 346mgCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 28g
Check out all of the other great Crocktober breakfast dishes the gang has created!
Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Around My Family Table
Slow Cooker Breakfast Pumpkin Bread Pudding from Cook the Story
Pumpkin Oatmeal in a Crockpot from Peanut Butter & Peppers
Apple Monkey Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Crockpot Creamy& Savory Coconut Rice from Curry and Comfort
Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole from Cookie Monster Cooking
Slow Cooker Ham & Swiss Fritata from 365 Days of Crockpot
Sunday Slow Cooker Hashbrown, Ham, & Spinach Casserole from Slender Kitchen
Crockpot Overnight Pumpkin Pecan Steel Cut Oatmeal from Kitchen Treaty
If you love slow cooker dishes then check out the hashtag #crocktoberfest2013 on facebook, twitter, and instagram to follow along with all of our posts this week!