Creamy Coconut Peanut Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles)
I’m not really sure why, but I feel like I’ve been on a bit of a carb binge lately. Last week we had something “carby” for dinner almost every night. Needless to say, I didn’t meal plan very well and now I’ve been feeling so…icky! I partially blame the weather. It’s been kind of cloudy and in the 60s which seems kind of odd for Orange County this time of year.
I’ve been craving ALL of the veggies so I made these scrumptious zoodles tossed in a light and creamy peanut sauce and they totally hit the spot!
If you don’t have a veggie spiralizer, you can get one for about $20 and I recommend buying one if you are trying to be more carb-conscious and fit in more veggies into your diet! If you don’t have one though, I’ve actually seen packaged spiralized zucchini in the produce section of my grocery store so the spiraled trend is definitely catching on!
I love peanut sauces and this sauce is really simple. I used canned coconut milk. You can use full-fat or lite, but obviously the full-fat will yield a slightly richer sauce.
I’ve made this sauce with and without the red curry paste. I like the added flavor to the sauce when I use it, but it’s still really yummy without it so I listed it as optional in the ingredient list. If curry is not your thing, feel free to leave it out.
Depending on the variety of blades your spiralizer has, I like to use a bit of a thicker cut for the zucchini noodles as it’s easy for zucchini noodles to get too soft or watery if you cook them too long. If you can’t do a thicker cut (as pictured), you might want to take off a minute or two of cook time.
I’m all about the garnishes with this dish. Lots of fresh lime juice, a big ol’ handful of chopped peanuts for some crunch, and fresh cilantro are a must for me!
Aside from some chopping and spiralizing, this is a really easy weeknight dinner that is healthy, vegan, and low-carb! If you want to add some protein, chicken, tofu, or even shrimp would work well in this dish!
Creamy Coconut Peanut Zucchini Noodles
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (optional
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized (about 4-5 cups)
- Fresh lime wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- In a food processor or blender, pour in the coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste (if using), garlic clove, and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper and carrots. Saute for about 3-4 minutes until the veggies are almost tender. Add the zucchini noodles into the pan and toss with the pepper and carrots. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour in the peanut sauce and toss to coat in the noodles. Add salt to taste. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from the heat. Serve with fresh lime wedges, chopped peanuts, and fresh cilantro.