Coconut Macaroon Nests
Easter always catches me off-guard when it’s earlier in the spring. Easter will be extra special for our family this year because it’s also Natalie’s 4th birthday! I plan to make a number of little treats to celebrate this double holiday/birthday celebration!
Springtime also is when I start craving all things coconut! Coconut macaroons are such a simple cookie to prepare and are the perfect base for making these little nest cookies topped with melted chocolate and chocolate eggs!
These took me only about 5 minutes to mix and get into the oven which makes them even better for holiday baking! Simply combine some sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and an egg white. Then stir in some shredded coconut and a couple of tablespoons of flour (which will help keep the cookies together). Mix that up and bake! As soon as the macaroons are done baking, I melted some semi-sweet chocolate and spooned a little on top of each cookie and used that as a glue for a few of my favorite chocolate egg candies on top!
These cookies are also great for kiddos to help decorate. Mine loved sticking the eggs on top. You can try other candies like M&Ms or jelly beans if desired!
Tips and Recipe Substitutions:
- I melted semi-sweet chocolate on top. I like the more solid chocolate paired with the soft macaroon. If desired, you could swap out the semi-sweet chocolate and use Nutella if you would prefer a softer chocolate topping!
- To create the perfect nests, I used a medium cookie scoop (affiliate link) to scoop the perfect amount. Place it onto the cookie sheet and then use your thumb to push down gently to create a little pocket that will catch the melted chocolate!
- After the cookies are done baking, you may want to give them another little push on top if it seems like the thumbprint disappeared a bit in the baking process!
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 cups (14-ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- about 48 mini chocolate eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Line a large baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, egg white, and vanilla extract. Add in the shredded coconut and flour until well-combined. Use a cookie scoop (or spoon about 2 tablespoons of the batter and form a small ball) and place onto the cookie sheet. Gently press down on the middle of each cookie to create a thumbprint and to flatten slightly (see photos).
- Bake the macaroons for approximately 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Just a minute or two before the cookies are done baking, add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl, heat in 30-second increments, stirring in between each round until melted and smooth.
- Spoon about a teaspoon (or slightly less) of the chocolate into the center of each cookie. Then arrange 2-3 chocolate eggs on top of the melted chocolate. Let sit until the chocolate is solid. Store cookies in airtight container for up to 7 days.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g