Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
If summer were a cookie, these Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies would be it. Memorial Day weekend is next weekend and that means it’s the unofficial start to summer!
Having lived in Florida and then Arizona for so many years prior to us moving to Orange County had me used to it already being 90+ in May. It’s been super cloudy and in the 60’s for much of this past month so it’s definitely not feeling like summer yet. That’s okay though because these cookies are sure to brighten any day!
These sugar cookies are so soft and so full of coconut and lime flavor. Think margaritas and that’s how these cookies taste. I would say of the two, these definitely have a stronger coconut flavor with hints of lime flavor from fresh lime juice and zest. I actually used my snickerdoodle cookie recipe as a base for these and just made a couple of changes.
These cookies include some cream of tartar. It’s not absolutely necessary to include it if you don’t have it, but I recommend including it! Yes, baking powder does have cream of tartar in it already, but I like to add more in addition as it gives the cookie some extra tanginess along with the lime juice and zest.
I also like to roll the cookies before baking in a mixture of granulated sugar and additional lime zest. I like the added specks of green from the lime zest on the outside of the cookie and the sugar gives it a slightly crust-like coating on the cookie.
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract*
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Sugar lime coating:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lime, zested
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Then beat in the egg, lime juice, and coconut extract.
- Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, shredded coconut, and salt to the bowl. Mix together with the wet ingredients until well-combined.
- To make the lime sugar coating, In a small shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and zest from one lime. Scoop between 2-3 tablespoons of the dough and with clean hands, roll into balls and then dip into the lime zest sugar mixture until completely coated. Place onto cookie sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies for approximately 10-11 minutes until the bottoms just begin to turn lightly golden. Let cool for 1-2 minutes and then carefully transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container or freeze.
If you want a slightly less strong coconut flavor, add 1 teaspoon (or less) of coconut extract. For stronger flavor, add 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g