Coconut French Toast with Tropical Fruit Topping
The last real vacation I had was three years ago when we went to Alaska on our honeymoon. I’ve been dreaming of another cruise well…pretty much since we got off the boat for the last one. Some place tropical, where I actually won’t care that it’s ridiculously hot, fruity drink in hand.
But, alas, here I must stay!
Last week I asked you guys on Facebook whether you preferred pancakes, waffles, or French toast. The winner was most definitely French toast. I realized that I only had one French toast recipe on this blog. I love to give you peeps what you want so I have another French toast recipe for you today!
And this French Toast recipe is certainly going to make you feel like you are on vacation. What makes this French toast special is that instead of regular milk, this French toast is soaked in coconut milk overnight and then topped with shredded coconut and baked until golden. And to top it off, a big scoop of tropical fruit! It’s sweet enough that you won’t need any syrup. And at least for breakfast, you’ll feel like you are on a tropical vacation!
For the french toast:
- 8 slices French bread (cut diagonally and about 1-inch thick)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
For the tropical fruit topping:
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups chopped and peeled mango
- 1 cup chopped and peeled papaya
- 1 tbs. sugar (optional)
- 1 tbs. fresh lime juice
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread in a single layer.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture over the bread slices. Turn the slices over to get both sides of each piece coated in the coconut milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the bread from the fridge. Sprinkle the flaked coconut evenly over the slices of bread. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered, or until the flaked coconut is golden.
- While the French toast is baking, prepare the tropical fruit topping in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Spoon on top of the French toast when it is done baking and serve.
I found a package of peeled and sliced tropical fruit from Trader Joe’s and I just chopped the slices. You can really use however much and whichever types of tropical fruit you prefer. Kiwi would also be a great addition!
Serving Size:2 slices with 1/2 cup fruit topping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 9.2gSaturated Fat: 5.1gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 5gSugar: 31gProtein: 13g