Classic Macaroni Salad
Is it totally weird that we had risotto for dinner on Memorial Day? I spent the day making recipes, photographing, doing some reading for work and then my husband made risotto for dinner. Totally not typical Memorial Day food, but oh well. I guess we are a little weird like that.
Let’s talk about a food you might actually eat at a summer BBQ- good ol’ classic macaroni salad. Macaroni salad that is typically drowning in mayo, that is. I think I have told you guys about a bazillion times now how I HATE when pasta and potato salads are drowning in mayonnaise. Seriously, I hate it. It makes me want to gag.
I wanted to give the classic macaroni salad a little makeover. Typically, aside from some chopped onion and diced peppers, you don’t see a lot of veggies in the classic macaroni salad, so I threw in some fresh chopped broccoli, grape tomatoes, and peas to change things up a bit. Not only does it make the dish a little more nutritious, it adds a nice pop of color! I reduced the mayo and used light mayo and mixed in some fat free Greek yogurt. This pasta salad is light, but it’s also nice and creamy at the same time!
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni (any brand will do; I used whole grain pasta)
- 3 tbs. fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayo (I used the kind made with olive oil)
- 2 tbs. cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and pour the pasta to a large bowl or container.
- In a bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, mayo, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic powder and some salt and pepper.
- Add the veggies to the pasta. Pour in the dressing and mix until the pasta and veggies are all coated with the dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g